BMS News—March 9, 2018
Mark Your Calendar
- Mar. 12 Pizza X Fundraiser
- Mar. 12-16 NO SCHOOL—Spring Break
- Mar. 15 April lunch open for selection
- Mar. 19 Pizza X Fundraiser
- Mar. 19 Summer Camp Enrollment Begins
- Mar. 19 Parent/Teacher Conference sign-up open for those with siblings
- Mar. 19 Book collection and food drive begin (see below)
- Mar. 20 Hickory AM Children’s Evening, 5:15 to 6:15
- Mar. 20 Parent/Teacher Conference sign-up open for all
- Mar. 21 Sweet Gum Children’s Evening, 5:15 to 6:15
- Mar. 22 3rd Thursday Coffee Chat, 8:30 to 9:15, Annex
- Mar. 22 Magnolia Children’s Evening, 5:15 to 6:15
- Mar. 23 Philanthropy Friday Popcorn! Opportunities to Give to the Community and the School!
Additional Important Events
- Mar. 25 Lunch/Aftercare closes for selection
- Mar. 26 Pizza X Fundraiser
- Mar. 26 Parent/Teacher Conference sign-up closes
- Mar. 27 Hickory PM Children’s Evening, 5:15 to 6:15
- Mar. 28 Sycamore Children’s Evening, 5:30 to 6:30
- Mar. 29 Maple/Walnut Children’s Evening, 5:30 to 6:30
- Mar. 30 Preschool’s Dinner at Crestmont Boys & Girls Club, 4:00 to 6:00 pm
- April 8 & 9 Parent Teacher Conferences
- April 9 & 10 NO SCHOOL
BMS Elementary Student Art at Rainbow Bakery
During the month of March, classroom art from our lower elementary students will be on display at Rainbow Bakery, corner of 4th and Rogers, in celebration of Gallery Walk’s Youth Art Month. Rainbow Bakery is open from 8 to 7, M-Sat., and 9 to 7 on Sundays. Stop by and enjoy some art!
Dinner at the Crestmont Boys & Girls Club
BMS and the Parent Auxiliary are gearing up for our second Community Volunteer Event at the Boys & Girls Club and we need your help!
On Friday, March 30th the preschool students and families will host the Crestmont Boys & Girls Club Friday Night Meal. Kindergarten students have an opportunity to volunteer at the event with their parents, and all preschool families along with their children can cook and donate food to this event. We as a school need to provide enough food to feed 90 children. 95% of these children come from low-income families, and 100% of them receive food stamps and are on the free lunch program at school. More than 80% of these children go home on Friday evenings with no food readily available to them for the weekend.
Volunteers and families donating food should arrive at the center at 4:00. We will be finished by 6 pm. We have made arrangements to have food drop-off hours on Thursday evening the 29th. More details will be communicated the week of the event.
Below is a link to sign up to bring food. This pre-planned meal takes into account food allergies, vegetarians, and items that tend to go over well with the children and warm up well. http://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e0b4fa4af29a2fd0-food1
We are initially asking Kindergarten students and their parents to volunteer at the event. We need 6 children to help serve food, and 4 children to help with clean up. This will be a first come, first served basis so please be proactive if your student wants to volunteer. Please use this link to volunteer to help at the event. Please note that each student must be accompanied by an adult who will remain at the club to assist. http://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e0b4fa4af29a2fd0-kindergarten
Thank you in advance for being such an important part of our school community and volunteering your time to children in Bloomington who are in need of support!
Parent Auxiliary Chair
Food Drive to Benefit MCUM
BMS is participating in the spring food drive organized by Monroe County United Ministries (MCUM). Monroe County has the highest poverty rate of any county in Indiana, and 89% of local families report having some trouble affording food. 33% of the children in the county receive free or reduced lunches at school.
With so much need, we are joining the efforts of MCUM to help struggling families have access to food resources. During their spring food drive, MCUM aims to collect 25,000 lbs. of food, which will provide more than 2,600 people with almost 24,000 meals.
From March 19 to March 30, please bring or send in a donation of non-perishable food products. Drop-off boxes will be located in both buildings. Recommended items are any canned goods, cereal, mac and cheese, rice and beans. MCUM also accepts unopened cleaning and hygiene items, such as laundry and bar soap, deodorant and all-purpose cleaners.
We are aiming to collect over 2,000 lbs. of food. Students will have an opportunity to weigh our contribution and deliver it to MCUM.
Thank you so much for your generosity!
Book Sale to Support Staff Appreciation Day
Each year parents show our support of the faculty and staff through Staff Appreciation Day, when we provide staff with a delicious luncheon. To raise the funds for this, the PAC is holding its now annual Book Sale.
We will begin the collection of books on March 19. The sale will be from April 2 to April 13. In late March, there will be sign-up sheets for parents to volunteer at the sale as well as bring in popcorn for us to sell.
Books should be family friendly/appropriate. Last year we had a range of genres, including travel, culture, music, education, photography, self-help, picture books, novels, chapter books and cook books. We also welcome donated board games, card games, puzzles, etc. that have all the pieces.
Drop-offs will be in both buildings. Please refrain from putting the books with the food for MCUM.
This a wonderful way to show our support for the faculty and staff who work so hard on behalf of the students, while doing a bit of spring cleaning. Thank you for your donations!
More Ways to Raise Funds for BMS
Pizza X, Mondays in March!
March 5, March 12, March 19, March 26
All Pizza X Locations
In person and online orders included.
- In person/by phone, say, “Maria.”
- Online, select BMS under the XTend A Hand tab, which will appear on the left at the bottom once you select your preferred Pizza X location.
- Save the Proof of Purchase to earn more $ for the school! Bring it in to the office.
Thank you, again, for your ongoing generosity and enthusiasm for supporting your child’s education!